POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level : Re: depth sorting Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:13:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: depth sorting
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 3 Sep 2002 23:29:42
Message: <3d757e26$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3d757b4d@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...

>   The problem is that even when bounding box A has one side closer to
> the initial point of the ray than any of the sides of bounding box B, the
> intersection of the ray with the object inside B could be closer than the
> one inside A

This can happen, but I don't see the problem with that.
of course the optimisation won't help in this case, but it won't miss the
correct intersection either.
Only bounding boxes with their nearest intersection farther away than the
nearest intersection point of an object (NOT it's bounding box) can be
ignored.
For massively overlapping bounding boxes there won't be any speed
advantage.

Lutz-Peter