POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level : Re: depth sorting (was: Re: max_trace_level) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: depth sorting (was: Re: max_trace_level)
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 3 Sep 2002 21:51:09
Message: <3d75670d$1@news.povray.org>
In article <chr### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
chr### [at] maccom says...

> correctly, it does something close (and practically equivalent) though:
> if the bounding box intersection is further than the best (nearest)
> intersection, the object is ignored.

Thats better than no such optimisation at all, but chances are that some
computation intensive object (isosurface landscape for example) in the
background will get unnecessary checked for intersections...

with my "algorithm" it is guarantied that this won't happen if its
bounding box is behind any other (opaque) object.

Lutz-Peter