POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level : Re: depth sorting Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: depth sorting
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 3 Sep 2002 21:47:32
Message: <3d756634@news.povray.org>
In article <3d755b14@news.povray.org>, war### [at] tagpovrayorg says...

>   I think that the problem would be knowing which bounding box is the nearest.
> This isn't necessarily an unambiguous thing.

The intersections with all bounding boxes will have to be computed anyway
I think?

So the idea is not to check one bounding box, then the object, then the
next bounding box etc, but first check ALL bounding boxes, then sort the
list of objects according to the proximity of the bbox intersections to
the camera, then check intersections with the objects, starting with the
first in the list.

Only additional operation would be the sorting, but if it eliminates at
least one computation intensive object it might be worth the efford I
think...

Lutz-Peter