POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory limit & reset : Re: Memory limit & reset Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory limit & reset
From: Niki Estner
Date: 3 Sep 2002 05:51:23
Message: <3d74861b@news.povray.org>
I've read the discussing so far, and I really ask myself why PovRay crashes
at such a memory usage. Surely this is not a standard test-case, but still,
I don't think it should crash. There are databases, CAD and other apps
running on W2K that do use up to 2 GB of memory, and I never heared they
crashed when tried to shut down.
My guess is some memory-allocation-fails case is not handled properly. I
don't have any idea how this could lead to a reset, either a bug in POV, or
in W2K (or, maybe most probable in both)

I've rendered a scene that hits my memory limit (sad to say, a 256 MB limit
is reached quite quick...). POV did neither crash nor reset. In fact after
the W2K message box "...too little virtual memory..." the scene rendered
fine...

Niki

news:Xns### [at] povrayorg...