POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Pandora
Date: 2 Sep 2002 21:55:21
Message: <3d741689@news.povray.org>
news:3d740b71@news.povray.org...
> In article <3d74082e@news.povray.org> , "Pandora"
> <pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote:
>
> >     Which is why I asked you to give us _your_ definition of "structure"
and
> > "layout" - you're clearly reading some important difference into the two
> > that I, at least, don't see.
> >     Again, would your care to give us _your_ definitions ? And, this
time,
> > don't just post links - give us _your_ definitions.
>
> I already did.  Twice!

    Well, I'm after concise definitions, in a single location, of your
definitions so that I can directly answer each point you raise in one go,
rather than having to address each point on a case by case basis.

    Ok, here are my definitions :

    First let me introduce a new term - "Style" :

Style.
    The physical attributes of words, images, tables or other content within
a document. For example, the text color, font or text size used, and so on.

Structure.
    The logical composition of the various elements of content with in a
document. For example, the splitting of a long document in to sections,
pages and so on.

Layout.
    Now, this is where the issue is, I feel. In my mind layout falls
somewhere between Style and Structure. For example, the term "Layout" used
as a heading for this paragraph indicates that this paragraph is a separate
element within this post, labelled "Layout" - from this point of view a
heading is a structural element marking the beginning of a distinct block of
content. However, one could argue that "Layout" also includes "Style", for
example, if this were rich-text, rather than just plain-text I could have
made the word "Layout" bold and underlined - from this point of view a
heading can be seen as a stylistic element.
    I think the whole issue behind this whole argument is that you see
"Layout" as being more akin with "Style", whereas myself and Warp see
"Layout" as being more akin with "Structure" - with the "Style" part of
"Layout" being optional.

    It all comes down to where you personally feel "Layout" fits into this
picture. As I said above, Warp and I see the structural elements of "Layout"
as being the more important, whereas, I think, you see the "Style" elements
of "Layout" as being more important, yes ?

--
Pandora/Scott Hill/[::O:M:C::]Scorpion
Software Engineer.