POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Sep 2002 21:04:04
Message: <3d740a84@news.povray.org>
In article <3d7407e3@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>> Really, "layout" and "structure" are not the same, not even close.
>
>   Yes, they are close.

Well, if you think so I cannot help you.  Go an learn more about the two and
hopefully you will see the differences more clearly.

>   Think about the different "structure" elements in HTML.
>   For example <H1> means "header level 1". What does the word "header" mean?
> Does it mean that it should be printed with a really small font at the
> footer of the page, perhaps?

It could mean anything.  When you print a HTML pahe on paper, a new page
could for example start with every h1 tag.

But ask yourself what does it mean if someone reads it to you (ignore the
visual element)?  The a header is nothing more than a pause between to
longer sections of text being read to you.  Does it mean it has to appear in
"Helvetica bold 20 pixel height"?  No, it eams "this is a new section and
here is an outline what will follow in a few words".  What is the more
important part?  the fact that the text is "Helvetica bold 20 pixel height",
or what it says?  The answer is clear, I hope...

>   The "structuring" elements clearly affect layout. They might not
> specify the *exact* layout, but they define the layout more loosely
> (eg. a header should not be printed as a footnote, but as a header).

Well, why do you want to disallow users to configure their display such that
<h1> is rendered in a three pixel size font?  Is it _your_ responsibility to
prevent users from hurting themselves if they want to?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde