POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
11 Sep 2024 15:53:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Sep 2002 20:53:44
Message: <3d740818@news.povray.org>
In article <3d7402a4@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   The author can feel that his text is more readable and easier to understand
> if he, for example, makes some things look more prominent than others (eg.
> by defining a special font and/or color).

Argh!  here you already show what I hate most about CSS:  It allows you to
make such arbitrary choices.  How many books come in 20+ colors and 20+
fonts?  It is easy to print in many colors and with many fonts today yet it
is not done even in leaflets.

Why?  Because this kind of layout hurts readability more than it helps!

And do works of Shakespeare, Joyce or Orwell require more than a simple
font, maybe a italics version of it and a bit indenting to outline very
complex stories?  Do papers by Einstein or Newton require fancy layout to
express their ideas?

So if some of the most brilliant people did not require advanced layout to
make their ideas known on the planet, why does a little web page need it for
much less important information? -- Because the little content a web page
has is so unimportant compared to their work, it has to be made appear more
than it is!

It is simplicity and in essence modesty what makes good layout.  If web
pages look like advertisements (with fancy layout) - and for some companies
that may be all they want on their web site - it degrades the web to only a
good looking place without content or structure!  Then we could just as well
turn it off!!!  ;-)

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde