POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Pandora
Date: 2 Sep 2002 19:59:15
Message: <3d73fb53$1@news.povray.org>
news:3d73f71a@news.povray.org...
> In article <3d73ef78@news.povray.org> , "Pandora"
> <pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote:
>
> >     In my book, and it seems Warps book and Tims book also,
> > structure=layout=structure.
>
> No, if you look in a dictionary you should know that a dictionary will
list
> it as "synonym".  Obviously "structue" is not a synonym for "layout".

    That's why I was planning to post excerpts from thesaurus.com!

> > They look pretty similar to me - they both talk about an arrangement of
> > parts to make up a whole...
>
> If they look too similar maybe you have problems understanding them.
> Whatever your native language, I am sure you have exactly the same works
> there too.  I would recommend to look them up in your native dictionary, I
> assume it will be easier to understand.

    YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR _FACTS_ BEFORE IMPLYING THAT I DON'T HAVE A
GOOD GRASP OF _MY NATIVE LANGUAGE_ !

    I was born in Wales, have been living in England for all but the first
6mths of my life and English _IS_ my native language. I think I've got a
pretty good grasp of the language over the 30yrs I've been on this planet.

    What's your native language ? Thorsten Froehlich doesn't sound like an
English name to me - and I see you have a german email address, I assume
you're, therefor, German and German is _your_ native language - maybe _you_
should be the one looking words up in _your_ native language.

> Besides, you "overlooked" the important definition of layout in context:
>
> 3. Printing
> a. The art or process of arranging printed or graphic matter on a page.
> b. The overall design of a page, spread, or book, including elements such
>    as page and type size, typeface, and the arrangement of titles and page
>    numbers.
> c. A page or set of pages marked to indicate this design.

    This does not invalidate anything I said, I just felt the excerpts I
quoted more clearly showed the similarity between layout and structure.
    How does "The overall design of a... ...book" not include _structure_ ?

> Really, "layout" and "structure" are not the same, not even close.  I hope
> the above quote explaining "layout" helps you understand the difference
> compared to "structure" as you quoted it.

    Yes they are - they're merely differing degrees of the same concept.

--
Pandora/Scott Hill/[::O:M:C::]Scorpion
Software Engineer.