POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Sep 2002 19:41:14
Message: <3d73f71a@news.povray.org>
In article <3d73ef78@news.povray.org> , "Pandora"
<pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote:

>     In my book, and it seems Warps book and Tims book also,
> structure=layout=structure.

No, if you look in a dictionary you should know that a dictionary will list
it as "synonym".  Obviously "structue" is not a synonym for "layout".

> They look pretty similar to me - they both talk about an arrangement of
> parts to make up a whole...

If they look too similar maybe you have problems understanding them.
Whatever your native language, I am sure you have exactly the same works
there too.  I would recommend to look them up in your native dictionary, I
assume it will be easier to understand.

Besides, you "overlooked" the important definition of layout in context:

3. Printing
a. The art or process of arranging printed or graphic matter on a page.
b. The overall design of a page, spread, or book, including elements such
   as page and type size, typeface, and the arrangement of titles and page
   numbers.
c. A page or set of pages marked to indicate this design.

Really, "layout" and "structure" are not the same, not even close.  I hope
the above quote explaining "layout" helps you understand the difference
compared to "structure" as you quoted it.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde