POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:12:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2002 19:28:44
Message: <3d73f42c@news.povray.org>
> No, you made a page without "structure".  I really expected you to know such
> an important difference!  Maybe you should attend a course about the topic
> or get a few good books.  You have a really big hole in your knowledge here!

If some of them are layout definitions and others not, why?

  Where do you draw the line between structure and layout? If you use
an <i>...</i> block, you are defining a special block of text (structure)
which should have a special layout (italic).
  All the layout elements are structure elements. The tags delimit pieces
of text, forming a new structure, which should usually be layouted in a
special way.

  Also there's another thing I don't really understand:

  Why the author of a page should have no right to define how his page
should look like? If you buy a book, you are getting completely and 100%
what the author of the book intended. If the author of the book felt that
some parts of the text should have a specific font in order to differentiate
it better from the rest of the text, he has the right to do that. If he
feels that's how his creation should be viewed and that's the best way of
viewing it, why shouldn't he have the right to do so?
  If the author of a web page feels that some keywords should be colored
differently from the rest of the text so that they can be distinguished
from the rest of the text, why shouldn't he do it?

  According to you he should not do it and thus people will be seeing those
keywords with the same color/font as the rest of the text, thus making it
more illegible than what the author would have wanted.

  Now read the above paragraph carefully once again and please explain me why
the author should not be able to do as he sees best.
  After all, it's his piece of work, and he should have the freedom to
choose how it should be best viewed so that the viewers would get what
the author wanted. If the author feels that he should emphasize some
elements of the text in order for the text to be more legible, that's not
only his right, but it's a good thing that he can do it.