POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Sep 2002 19:26:05
Message: <3d73f38d@news.povray.org>
In article <3d73ee80@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   If I say something like <p class=indented>, that's structure as well,
> according to your definition. It's a new structure element, and how it
> should be interpreted is specified in the CSS file.

No, that is a structure element with attached layout.  You change the
default layout with this, you do not change the default structure.

> You can specify that
> this new structure element should work like the regular <p>, but the text
> should be indented for example by 4 characters.

But you again miss the difference between structre and layout here.  Or
maybe the term used in the CSS specification is less controversial:
"presentation".  If you are more comfortable with this term than with
"layout", please assume that whenever I say "layout", I mean most (but not
all) that is covered by the term "presentation".  However, presentation also
says for example a bit more about text than just its layout, and that is not
what I want to imply.

>   The default set of "structure" elements in HTML are not always enough
> for everything you would want to do.

They are.  Even your example focuses on layout.  You just called it
"structure" but then in the same sentence mention indentation, which - as
you surely agree with me - is layout.

> If HTML would have
> an "indented paragraph" element by default, you wouldn't complain about it.
> However, now that we have a way to create this kind of element, you complain
> about it.

But indentation is _layout_.  How you indent information assumes _you_ have
a certain preference as a designer to convey something with indentation.
But what?  A quote?  Then you could use the blockquote tag, for example.

>   IMHO it's a great thing that instead of cluttering the HTML spec with
> more and more new element tags, they made a way for the user to create new
> element tags. I still can't see why this is a bad thing.

But in HTML you do not create new tags and specify their layout.  You do
that in XML or XHTMl for that matter...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde