POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2002 16:34:18
Message: <3d73cb4a@news.povray.org>
> Besides, did you notice that Mozialla has to be loaded at startup to appear
> it loads quickly?  In reality it is a slow fat memory hog.

  I don't have that option turned on, and it starts in about 5 seconds.
I can live with that.

> On the other hand, plain HTML renders on a 486 without problems (only
> decompressing the images will be a bit slower), and browsers won't need half
> a gigabyte of memory to run either!

  I just checked and Mozilla, with several pages loaded in browsing tabs,
uses 20 MB of memory. I have 256 Megs. I can live with that.

  By the way, how many people use a 486 to browse the web nowadays?
Mozilla might need something like a P-II 400MHz in order to run smoothly.
Well, I have a 1.2GHz Athlon. I can live with that.

> They allow designers to destroy web pages with tons of bandwidth wasting
> clutter.

  I'm sorry, but I don't see how the clutter "destroys" the page.
Pehaps you need to download a couple of kilobytes more than without the CSS,
but so what? I can live with that.

> So it is very possible to design a
> page that looks good without stylesheets

  Of course it is possible. You can clutter your pages with <font> tags and
other similar things, which make the pages larger (ie. slower to load) and
a lot more difficult to update (if you want to change some font property,
you have to do it in a million of places).
  I can't believe that you can't see the main reason for the existence
of CSS: To modularize the definition of a group of webpages. That is, define
common things in one place only, and avoid copy-pasting. As a coder you
should know very well how important modularity is.
  From what I see you are claiming that using explicit formatting tags for
everything is better than defining one modular CSS definition which is used
then everywhere.

> And did you notice how quickly the new Sun site loads compared to the old
> one?

  CSS doesn't make pages load slower. If anything, they make it load faster
because there's less copy-paste.
  Things that make a page load slower are quite independent of CSS.

  You have still failed to give any *reasonable* argument about why CSS is
bad. I'm not talking about who created it and why, or who is using it and
how and making what assumptions. I'm talking about the CSS format itself,
as a format, a definition, a standard.