POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Warp
Date: 31 Aug 2002 21:13:09
Message: <3d7169a5@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
> I just checked and whatever feature you are using for the navbar is broken
> in both IE6 and in N4.7 so I don't really understand why you insist on using
> something that is known to cause problems in both browsers.

  The navigation bar is not "broken" in IE6. It works as a navigation bar,
but its location just doesn't stay fixed with respect to the viewport, but
scrolls with the rest of the page. I even succeeded in fixing the problem
which happened when the browser window was too narrow (now the "buttons"
should not overlap, but they stack nicely; they even should have whole
borders now).
  IMHO it performs its job in IE now, even though its position doesn't stay
fixed.
  Also take into account, that previously there was no navigation bar at
all, so a navigation bar at each page, even though at the very beginning,
is better than none.

  The pages pass the html validator at www.w3.org without error nor warnings,
as well as the CSS. This means that they are valid HTML 4.

  So in IE it works acceptably. In Netscape 6 / Mozilla it works superb.
The only browser which is reported to do a bad job is an outdated and obsolete
version of Netscape.

  If you want to stick to an old browser (which is getting even older as
time passes), then I don't think that's my headache. You can't expect me
to degrade the features of my pages just because some people out there are
using obsolete browsers and refuse to upgrade for some reason.
  If you want to think that I'm an elitist, then go ahead. However, it's
not elitistic, it's practical.
  Besides, complaining that someone uses features which a 5 years old browser
does not support is the same thing as complaining that someone is using
photons in his POV-Ray scene even though POV-Ray 3.1 does not support them.
The answer has always been simple: Upgrade POV-Ray.
  I don't see why I shouldn't use the current HTML standard (and I'm not
even using the most exotic features...).

  Using CSS makes my life easier. For example, if I want to change the
background color of all the <pre>...</pre> blocks (ie. the ones containing
povray code), I can change it in one single place, and it gets automatically
spawned everywhere where such block is used.

> Style sheets may sound like a good
> idea on the surface but everyone who attempts to use them run into problems
> with the people they are trying to please the most and those are the visitors
> to that site.

  Then why don't you go an complain to the pov-team that they are using
style-sheets in the html documentation? And what's worse, they even want
you to upgrade your IE to at least version 4 if you want to see the help
files ok! What an outrage! This should be fixed immediately. There are
millions of people out there using old versions of IE and refusing to
upgrade...

  No. I don't agree with you.

> I refuse to upgrade my browser just so it is compatible
> with your broken site.

  Firstly, if you don't want to upgrade your browser to a newer version,
that's your problem, not mine. If you want to use an old browser, then
fine, use it, but don't complain to me because it's not my problem. If
you want to upgrade to the third millenium, then upgrade your software.
  Secondly, how my site is "broken"? It's 100% valid standard HTML 4 and
it works ok with a modern browser.