POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: An exercise in futility... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An exercise in futility...
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 30 Aug 2002 20:38:02
Message: <3d700fea@news.povray.org>
John Mellerick wrote:

> I'm sorry if you feel the need to resort to aggressive posts...

I haven't, yet.

> I am aware that no one is forcing me to
> use arealights, but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to suggest that
> the feature could use some improvement and revision.

And if you have any practical suggestions, then by all means, present
them. So far, all I've seen out of you is some tests demonstrating that
when rendering time and memory are no object, an array of point lights
does a better job of simulating a diffuse light source than a feature
with no purpose other than making soft shadows.. something which I think
most of us already knew.

> Come on - the article test were just two spheres and two planes, give me a
> *little* credit please ;)

What exactly should I give you credit for, and why?

The impracticality of light arrays has been reported and confirmed by a
number of people who are long-time posters here. We can accept that they
know what they're talking about. But in your case.. does anyone know who
you are? I certainly don't remember seeing your name before this thread.
If you want to challenge the notion that light arrays are impractical,
you should provide such proof as is necessary to disprove everyone who
has come before you.

> Now, by complex test, I don't mean a work of art, or anything pretending to
> be a "real" scene - by complex I mean very heavy duty in terms of what I was
> asking Povray to do. That includes both the scene and settings used for the
> render.

There's nothing particularly complex about the scene you described at
all, *except* for the light array, which doesn't count!

-Xplo