POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity Question : Re: Radiosity Question Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Question
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 30 Aug 2002 02:55:20
Message: <3d6f16d8@news.povray.org>
Robert J Becraft wrote:

> I've just started a radiosity render and noticed right off the bat that
> things are way way too bright in what has been rendered... the same thing
> without radiosity on renders just fine light-wise...
>
> What should I modify first... light defs with their fade_power and
> fade_distances or the radiosity parameters?

I certainly wouldn't change the fade_power or fade_distance at this
point! Altering the "physical" characteristics of your light will
certainly change the lighting, but probably not in the way you want.

Radiosity effectively adds light to the scene (assuming that some
already exists in the form of ambience or light_sources, of course).
It's not surprising that a scene which is perfectly-lit by standard
lighting would be too bright with radiosity added.

Consider using a default ambient 0, as the other posters have suggested
(otherwise, radiosity will make EVERYTHING glow). If that doesn't help,
the next easiest thing to do is simply to reduce the intensity of your
lighting (letting the radiosity "fill in" for the missing
illumination).. or alternatively, if none of your textures use a custom
diffuse value, and you have a lot of lights, just lower the default
diffuse value.

You could also lower the brightness in the radiosity block.. of course,
at some point, this becomes counterproductive. The point of using
radiosity is to have it be visible. ;)

It's usually a good idea to write and test your scenes with radiosity on
all the time (even very low quality settings - say, count 10-30,
error_bound 1 - will give you a rough idea of how the lighting will
look). At the very least, do turn it on for the lighting tweaks, if not
for the modeling.

-Xplo