POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Aug 2002 06:08:19
Message: <3d6df292@news.povray.org>
John Mellerick wrote:
> As I said in the article, I know it's hard to code, and I have not a bad
> word to say against the PovTeam. It's just that the behaviour of the
> arealight in Povray from what I have seen in my tests seems to deviate
> wildly from both reality and from what the documentation would suggest.

  I can agree that they are not like the real thing, but I can't agree
about the documentation. What the documentation states is what POV-Ray
does. Exactly. And you know it, isn't? Why you stopped quoting section
6.5.7.5 when it comes to explain just these things you claim it does not
explain?

> The simple macro I coded gave about 98% of the results I was expecting,
> while the Povray arealight broke down for every test. Also, as I said in
> the article, it's all just my oppinion ;)

  As others pointed, we all have tried this sooner or later.. and sonner or
later we all realized it is too slow.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia