POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:31:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Pandora
Date: 29 Aug 2002 01:07:30
Message: <3d6dac12@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in message
news:chr### [at] netplexaussieorg...
> In article <3d6d6503$1@news.povray.org>,
>  "Pandora" <pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote:
> >     That's just it - I don't think it is - I find it more, um, natural -
> > maybe it's just me...
>
> <snipped horribly random text>
>
> I suspect you are trying to say something
> completely different, because I don't see how anyone could think
> something so random could be better than naturally flowing text.

    Yes, I am saying something different. I agree, the left side should be
straight, but Warp said "people usually write text so that the length of the
lines is approximately the same, thus getting approximately justified
paragraphs", i.e. the right hand side, though not completely straight, is
roughly straight - it's that that I dislike.
    I dislike completely justified (with both left and right sides
completely straight) even more.
    I just like text to be a bit more random than "approximately justified".
For example, as I write this, the ends of the lines of my first paragraph
are in a roughly straight line, and I want to put a couple carriage-returns
in to make them less uniform, but won't 'cos I know it'll screw things up
completely when OE comes to wrap them at 76 characters...
    Of course, it could be taken to extremes, with hugely varying line
lengths, and that's just as bad, if not worse.
    I'm not sure I could define the points at which it's either too random
or too justified, so don't ask...

    Anyway, this is all getting way off-topic for p.u.p...

--
Pandora/Scott Hill/[::O:M:C::]Scorpion
Software Engineer.