POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity Question : Re: Radiosity Question Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:11:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Question
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 28 Aug 2002 19:55:25
Message: <3d6d62ed@news.povray.org>

3d6d58d1$1@news.povray.org...
> What should I modify first... light defs with their fade_power and
> fade_distances or the radiosity parameters?

Hint : always work with radiosity turned on and use something low for the
tests, like count 30 error_bound 1. Then put a switch in the scene so that
you can use better settings for quality tests and final renders.
That way, you can tune your lighting as the scene requires it. I personally
find lighting scenes with radiosity much easier than without because it's
often possible to get away with one light only. Otherwise there are no
specific rules for radiosity lighting. Jaime's light macros for artificial
lights, for instance, use extremely bright colors and very small
fade_distance but natural lighting can use very standard lights.
Note that higher recursion levels tend to wash out the scene if it has
little contrast per se (I keep it at 1 unless the scene requires something
higher). The brightness parameter can be used to enhance the radiosity
effect though it may look unnatural if too high. Rad scenes can also benefit
from some post-processing like tone level adjustment to get a richer and
more pleasant tone range.

G.

--
http://www.oyonale.com