POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 28 Aug 2002 18:56:51
Message: <3d6d5533$1@news.povray.org>
John Mellerick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if this is the right group for it (maybe advanced users would be
> better). I've just written an article about Povray's arealights, based on
> some tests I've conducted recently, and unfortunatly I have to say it isn't
> glowing with praise for them.

As I understand it, POV's area lights pretty much are crude hacks. Their
*only* purpose is to create soft shadows, not to accurately simulate
flat-panel lighting or arrays of point lights.. and because they only
calculate shadows, they can do so much faster than a real light array
while using less memory. Even today this is valuable; in the past it
would have been necessary.

In regards to Christoph's "theoretical" comment, I suspect he means to
say that having over a hundred point lights for every light in a scene
may be practical for simple test scenes, but would make rendering for
many real scenes unacceptably slow. I have often found the same to be
true of high radiosity settings.

I do find the "stadium lighting" effect on the half-marble strange,
though. Are you sure you're using the area light properly?

-Xplo