POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? : Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Article: Povray's Arealights - Cheap Hack or Not?
From: Warp
Date: 28 Aug 2002 18:49:08
Message: <3d6d5364@news.povray.org>
Besides the things people have already commented, two points:

  Your "true" area light is not a true area light. It's a grid of point
lights, which is a completely different thing.

  There *is* a major difference between area_lights and grids of point
lights: The area_light calculations are done *only* for shadow testing.
Nothing else. For any other purpose an area_light is a point light and
nothing more. (I'm not saying that this is a good thing; I'm just stating
the fact.)
  (Ok, photons is another place where area_light makes a difference if
configured to do so, but that's another different issue.)

  By the way, I don't like your attitude at pointing at area_light "defects"
which are simply caused because you used an adaptive value which was too low
or too low dimensions. The documentation is quite clear about this: It
explains in full detail what does 'adaptive' do and what happens if it's too
low.
  Since that is an artifact which is to be expected from a too low adaptive
value and this is clearly explained in the documentation along with a simple
solution (ie. use a larger adaptive value and if that's not enough, increase
the dimensions of the area light), it's unfair that you speak of it as if it
was a defect.