POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Snail racing is more exciting : Re: Snail racing is more exciting Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snail racing is more exciting
From: Alf Peake
Date: 25 Aug 2002 11:02:29
Message: <3d68f185@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
[snip]
> On my POV-Ray wish list is the ability to tell POV-Ray to average
the
> blob component textures in a different way. I would like POV-Ray to
> average the pigment, normal and finish independently, and only
*after*
> that trace the reflected and refracted rays, so that it's only done
> once. In most cases that's what you want anyway, but still the
feature

Sounds good to me.

I'm not asking for advice. I realised long ago that it was the
individual textures that were the problem :/ I'm just complaining
about my lack of patience. I've been returning to this object for more
than 3 years and have just replaced the messy pigment calculation with
a spline. These are some results with a Celeron 500:

A blob with 600 components, filter=0, (filter=1 is the one I keep
returning to) individual textures, 320*240 +a0.3. Fast - around 25
secs.
http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/pix2/blob99.jpg

Blob, 800 components with a single radial texture, photons and aa,
800*600 126K I think took around 2 hours.
http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/pix1/glassb3.jpg

This is a merge of 400 spheres, each with their own texture, 400*300
64K. No photons, around 18 hours.
http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/pix1/twistagn.jpg

I'm going to have to wait for my new 10gig Athlone :)

Alf