POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Snail racing is more exciting : Re: Snail racing is more exciting Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:09:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snail racing is more exciting
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 25 Aug 2002 10:15:30
Message: <3d68e682$1@news.povray.org>
"Christopher James Huff" wrote:

> > And a different scene with photons - after a 3 hour parse - "Slab
> > Building Error: Out of memory.  Cannot allocate 327680 bytes for
> > photons."  Mummy! Make that nasty Windows go away!
> > </wimper>
>
> Well, that is a POV error, not a Windows one. It ran out of memory while
> generating photons.

I vote for a user error ...

If the user doesn't watch out for the mem-usage of his scene, what
should POV do? Should POV do an online-compression to allow even bigger
scenes, that will then abort after 6hrs parsing?

naa ...
When I develop scenes, that create a lot of objs I also have a look
on the taskmanager to see the memoryusage. If the parsing stage uses
more than 2/3 of the available RAM, I mostly decide to stop the parsing
and search for a way to minimize the RAM usage of the scene, because
there will also be a need for RAM to store also the Image itself
(3200x2400 will be ~22MB), HiRes-Textures(will also load on Parsing, yes),
Photons (depends on used obj/textures), and Radiosity (this will need a lot).