POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Snail racing is more exciting : Re: Snail racing is more exciting Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snail racing is more exciting
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 24 Aug 2002 21:38:50
Message: <3d68352a@news.povray.org>
I've encountered this some time ago as well. It seems, that
the calculations for component-based textures are very
excessive.
And, thinking about it, its no surprise. First of all,
POV probably averages all textures, weighted by their
distance to the position being sampled. Its like
sampling the entire blob, with all textures, for every
pixel you hit, to actually get POV to know which
rgb/finish/normal you have on that position (you know
that when using pigment, you actually use a texture with
changed pigment, but default normal and finish, do you?).

When using glass, reflections/refractions, this can get quiet
an amazing task for POV...
Go figure why POV doesn't just stop.

I'd like to know more about blobs, but perhaps you should
ask your question with a more blob-fitting title?

Regards,

Tim

--
Tim Nikias