POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SMPOV - whitespaces Update : Re: SMPOV - whitespaces Update Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:35:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMPOV - whitespaces Update
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Aug 2002 13:30:56
Message: <3d612b50@news.povray.org>

news: 3d5bfc2a@news.povray.org...

> For most scenes in the POV-Distribution Radiosity is not needed as far as
> know.

Hi Theo
You seem extremely enthusiastic and very willing to offer something great to
the Pov-Ray community, and this is always very appreciated.
However, if you want people to really like and support your work, I think
that it will be very useful if you spent time actually using Pov-Ray and
developing scenes, and learning how people really use it, and what needs and
requirements they have. Browse the Pov-Ray galleries, browse the image
forums, browse the IRTC. This can take time, but believe me, this is really
necessary. I'm insisting on that, because I'm always puzzled that most of
the discussions or proposals about distributed or shared rendering seem to
tend to ignore how people use the software. To overlook radiosity, memory
requirements, or file sizes, for instance, is very typical. A few weeks ago,
I was contacted by university folks who didn't even know whether their
Povray renderfarm supported radiosity... Isn't reading the manual a minimal
requirement when developing stuff like that ? I just don't get it. It's like
building airports without bothering to check what planes are supposed to
land there.

If you ask people (and particularly advanced users), you will find that
radiosity scenes that gobble large amounts of RAM and drain the CPU are
exactly the sort of scenes that they'd be happy to render using a
renderfarm. As far as I'm concerned, lack of radiosity support for such a
system is useless.
So unless you want to use your system for demonstration purposes only, I
suggest that you take a break from development, plunge headfirst into the
manual and work for a couple of months on actual Pov-Ray scenes.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com