POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : poser 3 clothing help : Re: poser 3 clothing help Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: poser 3 clothing help
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Aug 2002 12:41:02
Message: <3d611f9e@news.povray.org>

3d610b4b@news.povray.org...
> also how easy is it to use transparency maps in pov? -

You can either use the transparency map directly (note : I've had problems
with TIFF with alpha but TGA and PNG work fine), or use something a little
more complex, but that gives better results.
#declare txtHair= texture{
   image_pattern{jpeg "updo_tr"} // black and white map (white = opaque)
   texture_map{
     [0 pigment{Clear}finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0}]
     [1 pigment{
        image_map{jpeg "updo" interpolate 2} // color map
        finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.5 specular 1 roughness 0.001}
     ]
   }
}

The advantage of this method over using a regular transparency map is that
you won't get highlights or reflections on the transparent parts, which is a
big drawback of the alpha maps. Another advantage is that it uses JPEG so
that you don't have to play with the large TGAs. Also, the pattern map is
reusable on other hair of different color.

> is there a freeware
> garphics editor that works with layers and alpha channels?

Try the GIMP for Windows. I don't use it for this but it supports alpha
channels.

G.

http://www.oyonale.com
- Graphic experiments