POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : max_trace_level : Re: max_trace_level Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max_trace_level
From: Micha Riser
Date: 19 Aug 2002 03:49:54
Message: <3d60a321@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <Xns### [at] 204213191226>, "Rafal 'Raf256'
> Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
>
>> Some older scenes, especialy using lens flares [1] macros need AFAIR
>> mex_trace_level of 500 ... 3000
>
> No, you not only not needed it, but you could not have used it either.  If
> you had needed such a max_trace_level there would have been a hard crash
> of POV-Ray long before you had reached it.

That's not true. I had scenes with max_trace_level 1000 which also reached
this level. And I just did a test with two facing mirrors: max_trace_level
5000 was reached.. I do not think the linux version of POV-Ray ever had a
crash because of that. So I see no point in limiting max_trace_level in all
POV-Ray version just beacuse some crappy OS can't handle it.

- Micha

--
http://objects.povworld.org - the POV-Ray Objects Collection