POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 64-bit compile bug : Re: 64-bit compile bug Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 64-bit compile bug
Date: 16 Aug 2002 13:55:13
Message: <3d5d39de.512912929@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 22:16:05 +0200, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>Oh really? ;-)  I never said there is no "real" solution.  But who is going
>to implement the "real" solution considering the size of the POV-Ray source
>code...? :-(

Someone with a lot of time on their hands ?? Technically it's not a
difficult task, just a tedious one. Since I work for a company that
has 64-bit machines (so I can test it) I'm qualified, the problem is
the time. Ok, I also have to check if we have the right compiler for
my usual platform, IBM Z-series mainframes, I know we're at the right
OS level to have 64-bit support, I belive we have at least the
run-time libs, but it's no good without the right compiler.

Any specific reason the change couldn't be done with a couple of
search & replaces pr source file ?? Back around POV-Ray 1.0 I actually
wrote some C parsing programs to facilitate a port to a mainframe, at
that time I had to mess with all the global names (functions and
variables) since the linker only supported 8 character external names.
Hmm, have to check if that limitation still exists as well.

/Erkki