POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : NEW: Rendering on multiple PC's with many CPU's : How it works. Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  How it works.
From: Theo Gottwald *
Date: 10 Aug 2002 08:55:45
Message: <3d550d51@news.povray.org>
As you all may know the only possibility to share rendering with an
unpatched POV 3.5 is to split the Picture in mny small parts using
the -SR, -SC etc. and then render each small part by itself.

This is how it works. I am just doing some test-renderings to give you
numbers about what speed increase can be seen.

It works with three ".exe"-Files.

You drop one or more ".pov"-Files in the Main Window.

Then this ".pov"-Files get rendered immediately by one of two methods.

You receive the ready picture at the end in the folder from where you
dropped the ".pov"-File.

Internally POV-ray gets started multiple times and renders "Tiles" of the
full picture.

Automatically these Tiles are put together by the second file (PicPend.exe).

He has a limitation at about 2048x2048 Pixels (VB-Autorefresh Bitmap).

In case of "distributed rendering" the PC's need

- to have a shared Folder together.

- on each of the PC's POV 3.5 must be correctly installed.

- on each of the PC's must run "RenderAgent.exe" (File 3 = RA).

RA looks every few seconds into the shared Dir ifthere is a render-job.

If he finds a render-job he claims it for himself (so noone elsetakes it)
and then

immediately starts to render the pic. When he is ready he automatically
waits for the next Renderjob.

You can tell him to use up to 4 CPU's (render one or more tiles).

You can use it on as man PC's as you want. Currently you can have 8 PC's
render on ONE Picture.

But you can have >512 Pictures render at once from the distributor.

In case of Local SMP-rendering, he splits the picture in the desired numbers
of parts and starts

the rendering locally, picture by picture, keeping all CPU's busy.

Was it understandable ? If not ask.

c.u.

--Theo Gottwald

http://www.it-berater.org

"Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Theo Gottwald * wrote:
> >
> > I've 3 computers and 5 CPU's (see www.fa2.de) so I was unhappy with the
fact
> > that POV 3.5 on some pictures really took long time (even on my DUAL
Athlon