POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? : Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are there any utilities that convert a povray object to a povray mesh2?
From: Patrick Dugan
Date: 6 Aug 2002 15:38:51
Message: <3d5025cb$1@news.povray.org>
> > I would assume that a mesh2 version of that object would render much
faster
> > than the "differenced" original version.  Are there such utilities and
how
> > hard would this be to accomplish?
>
> That might be a bad assumption. Boxes and spheres are pretty fast, a
> difference using them could easily be faster than an equivalent mesh.

The reason I am assuming the improvement is: If I create an object using
differences and render it and then create
the same object but using unions and render it, the render time is much
faster.  I thought that differences slowed down
rendering.  I felt that if a mesh (or mesh2) object didn't have differences
it should render faster.
Of course my assumptions are probably as full of holes as my objects!

Patrick Dugan