POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ISO optimization : Re: ISO optimization Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISO optimization
From: Tom Melly
Date: 5 Aug 2002 10:29:03
Message: <3d4e8baf$1@news.povray.org>
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...

> imho ISOsurface is the most flexible and powerfull future in Pov :)
>
> Only disadvantage is it's speed in some cases.
> I have idea for a opimization, that in some cases can prove _realy_ fast.

Been there, done that ;)

Of course, it depends on knowing quite a lot about the eventual shape of the iso
and where the requirements for a high max gradient will be.

I've also combined it with other time-savers - consider a ridged mf landscape
with high peaks in the distance, but a central plane.

Not only does it make sense to muck around with different max gradients, but
different bounding as well, since the high bounding box required for the distant
peaks is very redundant on the near plane.