POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : patch requests : Re: patch requests Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:57:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: patch requests
From: Rune
Date: 3 Aug 2002 19:22:05
Message: <3d4c659d@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> Another thing that would be useful: letting
> finish parameters be controlled with functions.

I suggested that in this group long ago... :)

> This would allow anything in the finish to be
> mapped with images, patterns, or whatever the
> user wants. With functions that can handle
> vector math and the right hooks into materials,
> you would essentially have shaders.

That would require access to not just the intersection point (like in
POV-Ray 3.5) but also the direction of the incoming ray, as well as the
normal of the surface (not like trace, but from inside the function).
Oh, and the color of the ray. Did I miss something?

And the part about functions being able to handle vector math would mean
a huge change to functions in my opinion. That technique with using
separate functions for the x, y and z components just isn't useful for
advanced vector math I think.

But I still like the concept, I just don't see it coming in any near
future.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)