POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plea for a PoV-Ray binary scene format : Re: Plea for a PoV-Ray binary scene format Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plea for a PoV-Ray binary scene format
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 2 Aug 2002 04:11:40
Message: <3d4a3ebc$1@news.povray.org>
"gilroy" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> [description of a POV-Ray binary format]
>

> >What would be the use of such file?
> >Among numerous ideas:
> >- To give a model without revealing some tricks used to make it. So it
still
> >can be rendered with different point of view, lighting, etc.
> >Of course, this format can be disassembled, but in "unrolled" format, ie.
> >with only the raw list of generated objects, without the coding wizardry
> >that could have been used to create it.
>
>     I might be in the minority, but I feel this is actually a good reason
> NOT to do it.  The POV-Ray community is the main reason for using POV-Ray,
> in my mind; and I _like_ the fact that people share code as well as ideas.
> I'm just an old-time coot, I suppose, but I liked the Net in 1994, when
> everyone used transparent, standard HTML and you could "view source" on a
> cool page and learn something.  And I've always liked that about POV-Ray,
> too.
>
>     I think the POVteam should avoid anything that encourages people to
wrap
> their coding in impenetrable layers.  I think they should avoid anything
> that allows one to "give a model without revealing some tricks used to
make
> it".

I agree, I am an open source guy :-) That's why I immediately gave a
workaround...
I just wanted to mention it because often users programming in a script
language (Visual Basic 3, JavaScript, AutoIt, etc.) want to protect their
work. But most of the time, the protection schemes are lame and are easily
broken.
Note that the easiest way to protect your source is not to publish it at
all. I am often frustated to see beautiful images on Internet, and not to
know how they are made :-)

Regards.

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/