POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3.5, +C corrupts PNG files : Re: 3.5, +C corrupts PNG files Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5, +C corrupts PNG files
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 31 Jul 2002 19:05:00
Message: <3d486d1c@news.povray.org>
> BTW if the PNG is deleted and "show" selected in 3.5, the file is
> displayed again. Pov keeps a copy of the PNG somewhere?

POV saves some data blocks, that aren't written yet into
the png in *.tpn (temporary-png) files. So it is possible
to continue from the last rendered pixel on, and not only
from the last written compressed chunk in the png-file.

But this behaviour seems to break (at least the linux-version)
when the png-file is already completely rendered, but the option
+c is used to render. IMO this should read the file, detect that
the image is already complete, and quit ....
What it does is, that it somehow writes/changes some bytes of the
file. There _ARE_ some progs, that don't have probs, to read such
a "corrupted" file, but most viewers get confused...

could someone please check my assumptions, so we can do a proper
bug-report?