POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Group animation project proposal : Re: Group animation project proposal Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:05:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group animation project proposal
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 31 Jul 2002 07:58:21
Message: <3d47d0dd@news.povray.org>

3d472280@news.povray.org...
> "Rohan Bernett" <rox### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
> > A little something else, don't forget that Harry Potter is only in the
> form
> > of text
>
>     If you ignore the film.

And the illustrations of the books...
And the merchandizing products...

>> A little something else, don't forget that Harry Potter is only in the
form
>> of text, so there wouldn't be anything image-wise for the pulishers to
>> complain about. :-)

You are not proposing to make still images, but to follow the book word by
word... The text *is* copyrighted, so a scenario following it falls under
the laws. Even if it was vaguely paraphasing it...
The name, the concept, etc. Everything can be matter of suing.

There was some brouhaha about a Chinese writer (anonymous :-) selling a
Harry Potter book, as if is was written by the original author. Except it
has strong Chinese feeling.

So even if the scenario was entirely original, but used the characters from
the series, it is still matter to trial (in legal sense). And I don't see
somebody good enough to make an original scenario as good as the real
books...

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/