POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Crash when exiting with help opened : Re: Crash when exiting with help opened Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash when exiting with help opened
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 30 Jul 2002 07:36:42
Message: <3d467a4a@news.povray.org>
"Pandora" <pan### [at] pandora-softwarecom> wrote:
> "Philippe Lhoste" <Phi### [at] GMXnet> wrote in message
> >
> > Message: The instruction at "0x642090db" referenced memory at
> "0x30303030".
> > The memory
> > could not be "read".
>
>     Believe it or not, this could be a privileges issue. No, really.
>     I've seen this kind of thing with several apps designed and written
> under win95/98 and then subsequently run under NT/2K - basically the app
> can't/doesn't handle the "user doesn't have the correct privileges to do
> that" error code returned from some API function call correctly, thinks it
> succeeded and tries to use some data that doesn't exist.
>     It's next to impossible to fix unless you debug on an NT machine, with
> exactly the same problem the privilege setup...
>     If, when the 3.5 windows source is released, I can replicate the
> problem, I'll take a look at it, see if I can figure it out (I run a 2K
dev
> environment at home)...

You are right, most programmers forget or just ignore (like me!) the complex
rules of NT security.

Then again, I am sole user of my NT server box, and I have near
administrator privileges.

I am not sure this is the issue, and the problem of reading a forbidden
memory zone (NT is much stricter than Win9x on these problems) is probably,
as you say, an incorrect use of an invalid handle or something like this.
Some function call isn't checked for result...

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/