POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition : Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povcard from itrc may-june 2002 competition
From: Pandora
Date: 30 Jul 2002 06:16:45
Message: <3d46678d$1@news.povray.org>
"Philippe Lhoste" <Phi### [at] GMXnet> wrote in message

> discussing
> cost,
> > > > >
> I meant, of course, that today it cannot be done.
> "To make this card is not technically challenging." Really? Today? :-)

    The numbers are a bit 'out there', but the basic idea is feasible.
    As Mike says, the main problem is cost. You could develop a custom slab
of silicon that could easily manage up to current desktop resolutions (even
HDTV), but how many people would buy it, and therefore what's the unit price
going to be to cover the development costs for the custom silicon ?
    Bandwidth wouldn't be an issue - zap across your scene description &
source image-maps and all you'll need to be pumping back out, across the
bus, is each finished frame at whatever framerate you desire...

--
Pandora/Scott Hill/[::O:M:C::]Scorpion
Software Engineer.