POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory Leak - bug report? A Question if this is the right newsgroup format : Re: Memory Leak - bug report? A Question if this is the right newsgroup format Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory Leak - bug report? A Question if this is the right newsgroup format
From: Philippe Lhoste
Date: 26 Jul 2002 06:55:24
Message: <3d412a9c@news.povray.org>
"Edward Leibnitz" <lei### [at] rcncom> wrote:
> I've been testing out the new 3.5 version of POV-Ray
> on my laptop that only has 192M RAM (Win98SE).
>
> On a longer render, the memory usage profile has demonstrated some
> of the classic symptoms of memory leak typical of C++ programs that
> have dangling pointer problems when using dynamically allocated
> memory in function calls.
>
> As the render goes on:
> 1] reduced unused physical memory
> 2] increased page faults
> 3] increases swap file in use size
> etc.

IMO, this shows more a big memory usage, which is normal for a ray-tracer,
more than memory leak. BTW, PoV-Ray 3.5 is written in C, not in C++ (that's
for 4.0, AFAIK).
Real leak testing should be done with appropriate tools, like BoundsChecker
or Purify, or one of the numerous open source products, like mpatrol.
And I assume (hope) that PoV-Ray coders has done already such tests...

Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)
http://jove.prohosting.com/~philho/