POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : photons : Re: photons Server Time
5 Aug 2024 20:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photons
From: Slime
Date: 25 Jul 2002 21:59:00
Message: <3d40ace4@news.povray.org>
> 1) [ lame - booo :/ ] how can I get rid of that pure black, unrealistic
> shadow around nice photons caustics ? example :
> http://www.raf256.com/pov/20020725phot/

The pure black is, in fact, realistic. Any light coming into that spot
*would* be ambient light, so you should either use ambient or radiosity, or
maybe a shadowless light if you prefer, to make that spot lit. The idea is
that if the light is being refracted, and none of the photons are hitting
that spot, then why would it be lit? it wouldn't, except from ambient light.
Try reducing the ior, though, that may help spread the light out more to
fill the blackness some.

> 2) is there some way to control brightness of photons ? maybe image will
> not be realistic but artistic effect would be imho nice

1. Crank up the light source that casts photons and use save_file to save
the photon data. stop render after photon shooting finishes and rendering
starts.

2. Bring the light source back to normal and use load_file to load the
photon data for the final render.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]