POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:15:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Micha Riser
Date: 21 Jul 2002 14:28:26
Message: <3d3afd4a@news.povray.org>
Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:

> Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote in news:3d3aec0d@news.povray.org
>> intersection{
>>   box{0,5 interior{ior 1.1}}
>>   box{2,6 interior{ior 1.2}}
>> }
>
> hmm... render it and see what's the result :) set one's ior to 1.001 and
> second to ior 2.0

Of course I have done test renderings before. But always with spheres so
far and I have not been able to see what exactly happens. But this box
example is more interesting. See picture in p.b.i.

IMO it is a bug in POV-Ray. The ray passes through the box and is refracted
when it leaves it. That means it is refracted even though the ior before
the hit and after the hit both are 1.0.

To produce consistent results following has to be assured:
- transparent unions with iors are not allowed to overlap
- merge and intersection have to have the same ior within all parts

The first point can hardly be assured at parsing time. It could issue a
warning during rendering though.
The second point could be checked during parsing.

> btw. can You pleas NOT quote ENTIRE posts ?

Usually I only quote as much as I consider neccessary to understand the
posting. No need to shout.

- Micha