POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 21 Jul 2002 13:26:35
Message: <3d3aeecb@news.povray.org>
Judging with my limited understanding of what is happening, I think it's
quite clear.

As we are talking about a raytracer here, the ior acts directly on the ray,
which hits the object. That is, if the ray hits the object, the angle in
which it travels further is calculated from the current ior and the one of
the object it's hitting. If it hits another object, the same happens. If it
leaves the object the same happens. Ior has no effect if it is constant,
important are those points on the ray where the ior changes.

Now - in your example everything is clear - in overlapping areas the current
ior depends on the object which was hit as the second one. I might be wrong,
though.

Hope that helps and is absolute nonsense,

Marc-Hendrik