POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: TinCanMan
Date: 21 Jul 2002 13:11:19
Message: <3d3aeb37$1@news.povray.org>
"Micha Riser" <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
> Considering two objects with ovelaping area. Like:
>
> sphere{<-1,0,0>,2 pigment{rgbt 0.8} finish{ior 1.5}}
> sphere{<1,0,0>,2 pigment{rgbt 0.8} finish{ior 1.2}}
>
> How does POV-Ray handle this? In the intersection of the spheres there are
> two ior values defined. Which one does POV use?

From what I understand, the ior value comes into play whaent he ray passes
through a surface, so any time the ray passed through a surface of  either
sphere, that sphere's ior value would be applied even if the surface is
inside or intersects another surface.  On the other hand, if you apply a
'merge' to these two spheres, the surfaces inside the intersection are
removed so the image would come out quiet different looking.

-tgq