POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Overlaping objects with different ior values : Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overlaping objects with different ior values
From: Micha Riser
Date: 21 Jul 2002 13:09:03
Message: <3d3aeaae@news.povray.org>
Tom Melly wrote:

> "Micha Riser" <mri### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
>
>> two ior values defined. Which one does POV use?
>
> Since ior is defined in the finish a surface property), the overlap is
> irrelavent?

As Warp said ior is a interior property. It is allowed to be specified in
finish only for backwards compatibility. See chapter 6.6.1 of the
documentation.

I made some further test with CSG and ior. Obviously there is also a
problem when objects with different ior ar merged together/intersected.
Consider:

merge{ // or intersection{
  sphere{<-1,0,0>,2 pigment{rgbt 0.8} finish{ior 1.5}}
  sphere{<1,0,0>,2 pigment{rgbt 0.8} finish{ior 1.2}}
}

Note that here ior is specified in finish where it does no longer belong to.
What ior does the resulting object have? Testing showed that POV-Ray uses
the ior value from the first object that has a finish{ior xy} defined for
the whole object.

However if I specify ior in interior as

merge{ // or intersection{
  sphere{<-1,0,0>,2 pigment{rgbt 0.8} interior{ior 1}}
  sphere{<1,0,0>,2 pigment{rgbt 0.8} interior{ior 1.2}}
}

I get a different result. I cannot exactly say how POV treats this case
though... anybody?

- Micha