POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A typo in the "using ambient finishes" tutorial : A typo in the "using ambient finishes" tutorial Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  A typo in the "using ambient finishes" tutorial
From: Jenni A M  Merrifield
Date: 20 Jul 2002 20:00:39
Message: <3d39f9a7$1@news.povray.org>
I'm still working my way through the tutorials, and I believe I have found
another error, this time in the "using ambient" part of the "finishes"
section under "Advanced Texture Options".

  I found it because I have a tendency to "copy and paste" the more detailed
examples instead of trying to type them all in manually as this helps avoid
typos and such.  However, the following is what is shown in (and thus what I
copied from)  the first block of example code for the "using ambient"
tutorial:

  plane {
    y, -1.5
    pigment {checker Green, White}
  }
  sphere {
    <0,0,0>, 1
    pigment { Gray75 }
    finish {
      ambient .2
      diffuse .6
  }

  When I tried to render the file after pasting this code in, POV stopped
with the yellow highlight on the very last closing brace and returned the
following error message:

Parse Error: No matching } in 'sphere', End of File found instead

  The error, it would appear, is that there is actually no closing brace
included for the "finish" statement.  The corrected code block should read:

  plane {
    y, -1.5
    pigment {checker Green, White}
  }
  sphere {
    <0,0,0>, 1
    pigment { Gray75 }
    finish {
      ambient .2
      diffuse .6
    }                    // <-- this is the brace that was missing
  }

Jenni

--
Jenni A. M. Merrifield