POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage : Re: New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray webpage
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 17 Jul 2002 06:01:29
Message: <3d354079@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.179ed89c4035df85989712@news.povray.org> , Lutz-Peter Hooge
<lpv### [at] gmxde>  wrote:

> With "a:hover { text-decoration: underline ; color: #ff0000 }"
> you say, that you want the content of the element "a" to be underlined if
> the mouse is hovering above it.
> Thats EXACTLY what Mozilla does.

No, it is still a bug in Mozilla.  They just follow the standard in a "take
every letter in the standard no matter how ambiguous and wrong it is" way.
obviously this is just asking for trouble.  But hey, they are the gods who
have to teach the world proper standard HTML, right.

This is like a spellchecker correcting every word it doesn't know.  After
all, it knows all words, and there cannot be new ones and it in unfailable.
What is being forgotten here is that blind enforcing of something by a
program is the worst of all implementations.

The consequence of this is that Mozilla's render engine is a badly broken
mess because of the developers' failure to understand something as simple as
"compatibility" (not that it ever was their strength when developing
Netscape 1-4).  I had really hoped after so many years they had learned
their lesson and would have come up with something that does a good job
rendering HTML :-(

> Hint: The pseudo-class :hover is NOT restricted to links.

This was only introduced in CSS2 which apparently the people who introduced
this nonsense even failed to notice that it will break every a-name tag
variant out there.  Or they failed to put this exception in a obvious
location.  But hey, with the bloat of their standards, that is a mistake
easy to make :-(

The specification in CSS1 is correct and makes it explicit:

>>All 'A' elements with an 'HREF' attribute will be put into one and only one of
these groups (i.e. target anchors are not affected). <<

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde