POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage : Re: New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:38:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray webpage
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Jul 2002 10:54:18
Message: <3d34339a@news.povray.org>
In article <3d341e7e@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   I don't understand. If Mozilla sticks to the standard, how is it "broken"?

Well, we could write POV-Ray 4 to expect compilers supporting the "export"
keyword in C++ and thus stick to the standard.  Get the idea?

>   Besides, it makes sense. A link starts with the <a> tag and ends with
> the </a> tag. Leaving the </a>

That is not really the problem.  the problem is that the a tag is overloaded
with two different meanings.  One is the "href" and the other the "name"
type.  They should have been two distinct tags, but unfortunately aren't the
end tags for the "name" variant of the a tag does absolutely nothing useful
and only adds clutter.  Plus it would be no problem to handle it correctly.
So why add user inconvenience.  After all, HTML was not meant as a machine
only format; it it had been there there would be no need for tags which only
consume space but a more efficient binary format could be use (one of the
many points by XML is so useless).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde