POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help - Lost in shadows and light_groups : Help - Lost in shadows and light_groups Server Time
5 Aug 2024 22:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Help - Lost in shadows and light_groups
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 16 Jul 2002 08:58:11
Message: <3d341863@news.povray.org>
I am battling with pov, and loosing... I am lost in the logic of
light_groups.

Here is what I want to get :

In a scene with 3 lights, I want an object to be no_shadow for one light
only. All other objects get and receive shadow as ordinary.

In other words :

I have a light_source wich is contained in an object, so I do not want that
object to hide the light for the rest of the scene; But I want it to cast
shadows from the other light_source. The light in the object shuld cast
shadow also.

I guess I must use two object, one with no_image and no_reflection, set in
different light_groups.

I tried variations around these but could find nothing that worked the way I
wanted.

My last try was this (cut and paste from my last test scene) :

light_group {

  Main_back_light
  Fill_front_light

  light_group {
    Inner_light
    No_shadow_object  // around Inner_light
    Rest_of_the_scene
  }

  light_group {
    Shadowing_object // no_image no_reflection but
                     // with shadow twin of No_shadow_object
  }

}

I do not understant why Inner_light seems to affect Shadowing_object - or
rather the other way round : why Shadowing_object cast a shadow over the
whole scene for Inner_light. Do objects in other light_groups cast shadow
even if they are not lighted by the light_sources ?

TIA

Philippe