POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New POV-Ray webpage : Re: New POV-Ray webpage Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New POV-Ray webpage
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 16 Jul 2002 07:28:29
Message: <3d34035d@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] zeroppsorguk> , Steve
<ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet>  wrote:

> So I'm browsing and decide to go and do the registration thing, I fill in
> all the fields then it tells me I need the key that I've been emailed.
>
> So I go off line (I believe that the form holds my IP address which will
> change every time I go online), I close all the browser windows because
> I know that when you do one of these registration thingies you always
> get a link to click on in the email which lets you complete the
> registration.

Well, it usually helps to follow the instructions presented on screen.  They
read

"You will receive an email with a key to unlock your account. Your
registration is not complete until you have completed step 2 and step 3
which require the registration key you will receive by email to your private
email address within a few minutes after sending this form."

Please note the "not complete"!

And even if you missed that note, it immediately brings you to Step 2, which
reads

"Enter the registration key"

and gives you a text entry field.  It also has a button labled "Finish
Registration", and usually if one still has to finish something it implies
one has not yet finished it.  So essentially you just did not read the
really simple one sentence instruction on the screen.

> Now I run my script that goes online gets mail and disconnects again.
> I open the mail from the POV registration page to find no link, just a
> key and no way of getting back to the step two page with my registration
> key.

You know, the idea of disconnecting twice between registering is somehow a
bit unusual.  Maybe you are trying to make life more complicated for
yourself that necessary?  ;-)

> We have received a request from 213.122.222.164 for registration of your
> email address <steve%40zeropps.uklinux.net> for the POV-Ray website.
>                     ^^^

Ups, that was caused by a recent change to that script...

> Some people may get freeked by this.

Only those who do not even read one-line instructions.  However, the ability
to read or have someone to read for your what is presented on screen is the
most fundamental requirement of the world wide web.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde