POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Translate by turbulence : Re: Translate by turbulence Server Time
6 Aug 2024 06:13:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Translate by turbulence
From: Rune
Date: 12 Jul 2002 11:20:26
Message: <3d2ef3ba@news.povray.org>
Christoph Hormann wrote:
> TinCanMan wrote:
>>
>>> Have a look at the 'vturbulence()' function.
>>
>> Thanks, but it appears to be the opposite of what I want (if I
>> understand turbulence properly).  The vector returned by
>> vturbulence() for pt A is the original vector of the point that is
>> essentially now located at A rather than where the point that was
>> originally at A is now.
>
> Have you tried it?

Well, it's pointless.

Turbulence in textures work backwards, so a turbulated texture can have
the same point turbulated to two or more locations. The vturbulence
function works forward and thus is incompatible with turbulence in
textures, and naturally a function can not return more than one result.

However, for very small amounts of turbulence, the results for forward
and backwards turbulence may be close enough that they won't be spotted
(because turbulence directions change gradually).

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)