POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Translate by turbulence : Translate by turbulence Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:10:04 EDT (-0400)
  Translate by turbulence
From: TinCanMan
Date: 12 Jul 2002 10:12:53
Message: <3d2ee3e5$1@news.povray.org>
I don't think this is possible in 3.5 but I'll ask anyways (perhaps it'll
give someone an idea for a patch ;) )
This is a bit difficult to explain but:  I want to be able to translate an
object according to the turbulence value at its location.  Let's say we have
a plane with a checker pattern on it and we place a little ball at the
origin.  If we apply turbulence to the checker pattern, the point that was
originally at <0,0,0> is now somewhere else defined by the turbulence
parameters.  I would like to be able to move the sphere to this new
location, something along the lines of:

plane{y 0
     pigment{
       checker rgb 1 rgb 0
       turbulence 0.5
       octaves 5
       lambda 1.2
       omega .25
     }
}
#declare newpt =

sphere{0 0.1
   pigment{rgb <1,0,0>}
   translate turb_translate(
      <0,0,0> //point to read turbulence value from
      turbulence 0.5
      octaves 5
      lambda 1.2
      omega .25
   )
}

Does anyone have any idea on how this can be done in 3.5?

-tgq