POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:05:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Rune
Date: 9 Jul 2002 19:46:38
Message: <3d2b75de@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You are implicating that writing meshes manually is
> not difficult. I would like to see you writing a bigger
> mesh by hand. ;)

Well, bicubic patches are just plain difficult to use in general.
Because of their four corners, it's very difficult to make advanced
shapes where the patches are joined up smoothly. Some 3d programs which
also use patch-like shapes come about this problem by offering special
patches with 3 or 5 corners to supplement the regular ones with 4
corners. Not POV-Ray though.

Rune
Rune's World:  http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated May 20)
POV-Ray Users: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk/povrayusers/